engine display T.S.T.  Lyttelton II was built by Lobnitz & Co. Ltd., Renfrew, Scotland for the Lyttelton Harbour Board in New Zealand in 1938-9. She was a twin engine steam tug built to a high standard when marine reciprocating steam technology had reached its peak. She had a length of 38 metres, beam of 9 metres, draught of 4 metres and displacement of 604 tonnes. She was powered by two triple expansion steam engines each with an indicated horsepower of 625. Her two, three furnace, scotch marine wet back boilers were coal burning with forced draught.

In early 2007 the entire engine room of the TST Lyttelton II was purchased by the club, recovered as the ship was scrapped and returned to the club site. It was a massive undertaking that the club is proud of. You can read details of the rescue here

Retrieving and displaying the ship’s engine room is a very ambitious project for a volunteer run museum, but members of the club felt that these engines, particularly if they could be displayed in their engine room setting, were well worth every effort to preserve. The engine room was a particularly fine example from the later days of steam All the equipment was top quality for the day. The steam equipment consists of:-

2 Main Engines 625 indicated horse power triple expansion (14” 23” & 38” bores x 27” stroke) manufactured by Loebnitz & Co, Renfrew, Scotland, builders of the tug.

Reversing engines on each main engine Mactaggart-Scott 7” x 9”

2 Boilers - 3 furnace Scotch Marine wet-back manufactured by Barclay  & Curle and Co. Coal fired with Hotchkiss recirculators 180psi

Howden forced draught system fan steam engine 4” bore x 3” stroke.

Condenser circulating pump - Centrifugal pump manufactured by Drysdale driven by steam engine 5” bore x 4½“ stroke - 8180 litres per minute @300 rpm.

2 Air Pumps (to remove condensate & maintain vacuum in condenser) -Weir 19” Steam cylinder 15” stroke Capacity 23,000 lbs per hr of condensate & 26” vacuum

2 Boiler feed pumps  Weir 6” 22,000 lbs per hour

Service pump Dawson & Downie 7” double acting duplex

Bilge pump Dawson & Downie 5” vertical

Fresh water pump Dawson & Downie 3”

Generating Set Engine Sisson 3” x 5½“ -generator 230 volt 27 A 6kW

Fire pump - Drysdale Weir 7” 1000 gallons  per minute driven by steam turbine 126 BHP

Winch   Clark Chapman

Steering Engine MacGregors

All up this is 17 steam engines and pumps!

The long term plan is to reproduce the engine room interior but work at this stage is concentrating on restoration of the engines. A grant from the Maritime Museums of Australia Project Support Scheme helped with getting all the loose fittings back on the engines then members have put many hours into getting the equipment back into good order. They have now been set up in a display roughly mimicing the engine room configuration.

Currently the port engine is operated using an electric motor and gear box onto the baring mechanism.